38. PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS: Wildlife Singapore. Squirrel in Yio Chu Kang Crescent forest, Singapore

WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS: 

It is extremely difficult for me to take photos of squirrels in the past years, owing to my lack of technical knowledge and equipment. A good lens is very important.

On 1 Dec 2021, 9AM, I sat on a concrete block marker in Yio Chu Kang Cres forest and saw a small dark brown mass on a tree branch some 50 m away. It was a young squirrel eating his breakfast. 

Canon DSLR 90 EOS 90D, EFS 18-200mmm, P Mode, Focus on the head area as I couldn't see the eyes. Rare sighting due to habitat loss for development of N-S Corridor.  As at Apr 2023, this area is out of bounds for photography, with the government putting up signs along the length of Yio Chu Kang Crescent road.

UPDATE ON 12 JUN 2023:

1. I don't use P Mode anymore as it is not reliable.


2. I use AV Mode mainly as light changes fast and my M mode may not be able to cope with changing light conditions.

3. I use TV Mode (shutter priority) if there is bright sunshine and I am nearby as I find it provides sharp images from moving animals e.g. butterflies, bees. I set shutter speed at 1/1000 sec for moving bees, f/4.5 and ISO Auto.

My Canon Camera R5 has only the short 24 - 105 mm lens and so the TV Mode will not be of any use for the squirrel as the ISO will be very high.

---------------------------------------------------------

IMAGES TAKEN WITH Canon 90D in Dec 2021 are as follows:


 

rejected as out of focus


photo is available at shutterstock.com/g/toapayoohvets. Search "squirrel".


 
 
-------------------------
 
Instagram of the professional wildlife photographer

https://www.instagram.com/davidgibbonphotography


More information from the experienced photographer. For example, he shot a running 
red squirrel in the snow at shutter speed of 1/2500 sec.   Slower speed will not capture this image. He uses long zoom lens.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51. PHOTOGRAPHY. TRAVELS USA. The Ah Ha Moment. Breaking into a tour coach after midnight in the USA.

28. PHOTOGRAPHY OF MOON - Morning Moon from Canon R5. Use shutterspeed 2.5 sec

39. PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO OF A TRAPPED MYNA